call for anthology submissions
does not deny even a poetry of comment; little cadenced
messages of uplift with
the mild factitious strength of the hortatory. They come creeping out of the
Twiddlers: so faithful to
a negligible emotion….”
not forget the small poem, one is reminded, when one is faced with
couplet or truism. In smallness comes a concentrated energy
that is not devoid
of any variety of emotion or dramatic statement. Is it
sadness or euphoria that
is evoked? Is there a large wisdom to be taken
in? Or is a small picture, like
a Polaroid, being developed, only to end
prematurely yet wholly? We’re looking
for such poetic gems to fill
Cupcakes. We’re limiting each poem to no more than 13
This anthology is co-edited by Eric Tinsay Valles and Desmond Kon Zhicheng-Mingdé, and is expected to be launched at the National Poetry Festival in 2018.
We consider poetry of any style, including prose poems. Each poem should not exceed 13 lines. Please limit poetry submissions to 1-5 poems.
Many of our anthology projects operate on rolling deadlines, unless stipulated otherwise. We usually accept submissions until we’ve received enough good, solid work ready for publication.
We aim to contact contributors with accepted work after we’ve finalized selections. Because of our workload, we are unable to send out rejection correspondence. Please accept our apologies on this.
Contributors will receive a complimentary copy of the anthology.
1. Please include a cover letter in your email, with a contributor biography of 50 words. In the Subject Heading, please type “SUBMISSION TO PINCUSHION: YOUR NAME”.
2. All manuscripts must be typed, single-spaced. Please title your Word document “PINCUSHION: YOUR NAME”. Unless typography is crucial to the aesthetic of your poem, please use standard typefaces (font 12) such as Arial, Cambria, Georgia, Helvetica or Times New Roman.
3. Do indicate your full name and email within the header on every page of the manuscript.
4. We only accept submissions via email. Submissions should be addressed to: [email protected]
5. We accept new or previously published work pertinent to the theme. If the works have been published before, you must still retain rights to these works. Please also indicate where the pieces first appeared for the purpose of acknowledgement. If your work is accepted for publication, we request a non-exclusive license to print your works within the anthology and for publicity purposes.
6. We encourage simultaneous submissions.
7. Our aesthetic taste is diverse. If you’d like to know more about the kinds of work we are charmed by, please take a look at our Reading Room HERE.
We welcome your poems, which we honor. All the very best with the writing, and we look forward to receiving your stellar work!